So back to our regularly scheduled program... Today's lesson is about the Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility. What the heck is that, you say? And what the heck does it have to do with the pictures of those completely adorable kids??? Actually, everything!
First, let's take a look at marginal utility. Does this mean that you only get a marginal amount of water from the City of Brighton? No, silly... Marginal utility is the additional satisfaction one receives for each additional good or service consumed. Consequently, the Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility states that as a person increases consumption of a good or service, there is a decline in the marginal utility (i.e. additional satisfaction) that person derives from consuming each subsequent unit.
Are you still with me?? Relax, that's the end of the economics terminology. In laymen's terms, too much of a good thing is not so good. That includes snow days! One snow day is good. Two snow days are better; however, the third day, not so much. I'm sure I'm among the minority, but I am soooo ready to go back to work!
The reason I am not a stay-at-home mom is because I MUST have some adult interaction. I do not see how other mothers do it. Staying home with small children is much harder than going to work. Mine are still young enough to be needy, but old enough to aggravate the pants off each other. By the time their daddy hits the door, my normally pleasant demeanor has dwindled down to exorcist-like outbursts. From the mouth of Ouiser Boudreaux, my fictitious heroine,
I'm pleasant. Damn it! I saw Drum Eatenton at the Piggly Wiggly this morning, and I smiled at the son of a bitch 'fore I could help myself.
My working outside of the home is not just good for me -- it's good for my family too. While no one can top Ouiser, I read another good quote somewhere that goes like this: "If mama ain't happy, no one is happy!" Well, there are no truer words ever spoken. My mood sets the tone for the entire house, and my marginal utility is seriously diminishing!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Am I right, or what?