Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A Piece of Humble Pie


I feel like falling to my knees and giving praise.  I am the luckiest person in the world!  I have a great husband, two wonderful and healthy children, a job that I love, a mortgage that I hate (but at least I have one), awesome friends, and so much more.  Don't get me wrong; I haven't gone and gotten all sappy.  Nor am I feigning supreme spirituality.  However, I did just get slapped in the face by reality. 

Today, I "interviewed" the sweetest, most humble little cleaning lady.  It was all my husband's idea, but a friend of his turned him onto a cleaning lady whose price could not be beat.  Now, if you know me at all, you know that I could careless whether or not we have a clean house; thus, I am indifferent towards the concept of a cleaning lady.  My husband, my current housekeeper, DOES have a dog in this hunt (so to speak).  He was excited about the prospect, and asked if I'd meet with her.  Whatever...

She came by to meet with me, and just to get a feel for what we needed.  In the 45 minutes she was here, she gave me a rundown of her entire life.  Now this wasn't a speech along the lines of "Poor, pitiful me!  My life sucks!"  Instead, it was a sweet lady telling a sad story smiling all the while.  I told my husband that by the time she left, I was nearly in tears and wanted to give her a great, big HUG (and a great, big check!).  Seriously, I was looking around thinking "Am I on Candid Camera or something?" 

This lady has more than just a few problems; yet, she was able to come across as pleasant and happy.  She has no education, no job, no money, poor health, no insurance, a dead spouse, a young child, a disabled child for whom she is responsible, an unemployed son living with her...the list just goes on.  Even the most heart-wrenching movie on the Lifetime Channel can't compete with this lady's life.  All the while, though, she just had this positive attitude.

She didn't seem to be looking for sympathy.  Nor did she seem to be looking for a handout.  She just seemed like a very honest, open person who wanted to talk.  So there I sat.  Listening.  Typically, not my role in most conversations, but I'm glad I did.  I am glad I met her, and I am glad that she will be cleaning my house.

She definitely made me a believer.  She could have been a bitter person with nothing nice to say about anything.  I don't think anyone would blame her.  Instead, she chose to get up this morning with a smile on her face and roll with the punches.  After all, it's Christmastime.  Upon leaving our house, she was headed to Walmart to buy presents for her nephew with cerebal palsy. 


I liked her style.  And I certainly learned a very valuable lesson today.  I needed it too.  I was on the verge of shipping my kids off to daycare for a little break.  We stayed home and destroyed the house together instead!  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Am I right, or what?