Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sometimes Teenagers Do Not Suck

As most of you know, I teach high school.  Every day, I deal with 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th graders.  Every. Day.

And nearly every day, I come home from work feeling stressed.  There's just so many of 'em and so few of us!  I know little kids are needy, but teenagers???  Phew...  They put I-need-your-attention-PRONTO in the word "needy."  Some teenagers have so much drama and, for whatever reason, they are compelled to share with me.  It's an honor and a curse.  I'm honored that they feel comfortable enough to talk to me.  I'm cursed in that there are just some things I DO NOT need to know!  TMI to the 14th power!

Like I said, they are exhausting and can suck the life out of you if you aren't careful.  Sometimes, though, just sometimes, they do not suck.  Sometimes, they BLOW.

Te-he, he, he...  Not really.  That was just too good to pass up.  Sorry; I digress...

Anystayfocused, sometimes teens are so giving.  So much so that it makes me want to cry.  Really.  Yes.  I cry, dammit.

This past week was Winterfest 2011 at Podunk High School.  Winterfest is similar to Homecoming only it's for basketball.  Consequently, the students nominate and elect a Winterfest court.  From that court, the class accumulates points through various activities, charities, and fundraisers.  From the class with the most points, the students with the most votes receive the honor of Winterfest King and Queen.

This year's King and Queen were from the Sophomore class -- an unprecedented phenomena.  Typically, the Senior class takes the honor.  This year, though, they gladly and honorably bowed to the Sophomores.  All classes stood and cheered when the King and Queen were announced.  A standing ovation ensued.  I nearly cried.

The Winterfest King for 2011 is a severely disabled student.  King J.J.'s disability affects his speech and restricts his movements.  It does not affect his attitude, however.  He comes through the doors of our building every, single morning with a smile the size of Texas.  He laughs and waves, and all seems right with the world.

On Friday, I was reminded of just how awesome my job really is.  I was so proud of our students.  And so happy for J.J.  He wore his suit and that crown all day long.  I suspect he may have even slept in it.  And may even be sitting in church this morning adorned with his crown.  I'm sure God doesn't mind.


I just love this commerical.  I cried; now it's your turn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As someone who works with kids' who have disabilities, hearing that makes me tear up and I don't even know the kids. I love it when teenagers surprise us and act like good human beings.

Aleta said...

What a beautiful post. My heart goes out to you dealing with teens. I can imagine all of the stories you must be able to share (my Mom teaches 5th grade and really.... she shouldn't have stories with 5th graders, but she does. Scary, actually).

Loved the story about J.J. Happy for him and proud of your students for the standing ovation!

Post a Comment

Am I right, or what?