Before I even got back from Disney, the proverbial "other shoe" dropped. My mom was hospitalized on Saturday, May 30th, because of an agressive infection in her digestive tract. She was transferred to UAB a few days later. So as soon as my plane landed in Memphis, I had to pack my bags and head to Birmingham. I've been in my own bed only twice since summer vacation started.
Today I received word that the end is very near for my sweet little mother. The doctors have done all that can be done. They are now administering morphine to stop the pain. For this, I am glad. My mother has never been one to take pain medication. Even when she needed it, she wouldn't take much more than plain Tylenol. In fact, I think that chocolate was her favorite pain reliever. Now I know why she kept that stash of M&Ms. Regardless, she probably refuse the morphine if she were able to have a say. She hates being "goofy," as she'd put it.
I am trying to keep my composure as much as possible for my dad's sake. The poor man has been with her for 45 years. His life will never be the same. I try to comfort him, but I'm pretty certain God is the only one who can do that.
God, if you are listening, please give my daddy the strength to go on. Give him the peace he'll need to smile again. Above all else, give him the selflessness it's going to take for him to let her go...

No comments:
Post a Comment
Am I right, or what?