Regardless of how awful that job was I cannot help but feel nostalgic. God, I miss my posse! I really had more good times at
Each day at approximately 11:45 a.m., we headed off to some undisclosed location for lunch. The location was always undisclosed because it always took several hours to actually decide on a place. Usually the driver made the final decision. (Of course, that was always contingent upon LLL's approval.) For roughly two hours, we'd sit in a restaurant rehashing the absurdity of our day.
Oh, if those restaurant walls could talk... Hank would finally discover how he got the nickname. Kent's secret stash of Jergen's and tissue would become public knowledge. Jackie's "basketball" playing husband's girlfriend would be revealed. And Grant's wife would learn of all about his slush fund and stripper friends. She'd know that he didn't really believe in religion (though she is very devout in her faith), and he wore the same pants for weeks at a time. Everyone would know the identity of Booger, and our VP would learn of Patty's online retail business run entirely from his computer. The details of my secret shaggings with Tommy would be out (relax...pre-hubs and kids). David would discover how close he'd come to receiving a severe concussion from the baseball bat in Carl's trunk. And Patsy would never, EVER wear those stretch pants again!
Each day, I laughed until I nearly peed my pants. Those lunches made it possible for all of us to endure the remainder of our day. We could finally meet with Jackie without wanting to rip her head off. Focus, Jackie, focus! We are talking about me. I nearly lost an eye! Those lunches made it possible for us to manage a 3-hour afternoon staff meeting about the cost of lawn care at the complex near the golf course.
Today, all of those memories came flooding back to me. I didn't get to spend two hours with my friends from back in the day, but I did get to spend two hours with some of my new, yet equally entertaining, colleagues. Teaching is great, but let's face it, 17.7 minute lunches SUCK! You barely have time to scarf down a Lean Cuisine and pee before the kids are banging down your door. On the days when I have a meal requiring more than 4 1/2 minutes in the microwave, I have to skip the pee and hold it until the following class period!
Our summer started today, though. Exams are over; the students are gone. All that's left is some paperwork and some desk-drawer cleaning. Today was the day we'd been waiting for all year! And it could NOT have been a better one. We had a nice lunch, a few drinks, and LOTS of laughs. And we even had time to pee!
Ahhhh, I miss two-hour lunches...


1 comment:
I hate that I missed it yesterday. I've already heard about the "demonstrations" given by one of said colleagues!
Post a Comment
Am I right, or what?