
Today I learned that two of my former friends were arrested over the weekend. I say former, but nothing really happened to cause our parting. Our lives just went in different directions. I can't help but wonder, though, how and why do people do the things they do???
The people to which I am referring were arrested for manufacturing meth. (I'm displaying a perplexed face even as I type this.) WTH?? How do you get to that point in your life? Honestly, how do you wake up one morning and say, "Hey, I've got a good idea!" Really, was this the last resort? Did they have starving children to feed? Were they in jeopardy of becoming homeless? Did some drug dealer hold a gun to their heads and force them to make it or else? If any of these reasons were the case, I might be a bit more sympathetic.
However, as is ALWAYS the case, there were no extentuating circumstances. There was nothing noble about their make-shift lab. They weren't conducting secret experiments hoping to find a cure for cancer. It was just plain, ol' stupidity and greed mixed with a little addiction. Blagghh! It makes me sick!
Have they never seen Intervention? Meth leaves you with pus-filled scabs on your face and rotten teeth. It makes you paranoid and willing to sell your first-born child. I've seen people go from a nice home with nice cars to eating out of trash cans! (Not in real life, of course, but on the show.) They lose everything! And for what?? I don't even see the attraction.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying these folks went from an Amish lifestyle to crystal meth over night. My friends were always partiers - heck, so was I! Which brings me to my original thought... What the heck happened??? How did it go from playing cards and drinking a few beers on Sunday afternoons to snorting and making meth? When did they come to that proverbial fork in the road?
Ya know what makes the entire drama even worse (and STUPID to the 45th power)? The girl's husband (now her ex) spent some time in a federal prison for the EXACT. SAME. THING. I don't know which comedian I heard say it, but we really do need to put STUPID stickers on people. If these two don't deserve a "Jackass of the Day" award, I don't know who does.
Ridiculous... and D-U-M-B! I know it's harsh, but they belong in jail. Too bad the judge can't tack another 3 years onto their sentence for being stupid. I can hear him now:
Well, Miss E, you have been found guilty of manufacturing a control substance
with the intent to distribute. For that, I am sentencing you to 5
years. In addition, the verdict was unanimous, and you've been
convicted of being a complete idiot. Therefore, you are sentenced to
another 3 years to be served consecutively. May God have mercy on
your soul.
That last part was added for a little court room drama Law & Order style.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Am I right, or what?