Friday, April 17, 2009

I'm Going to H-E-double hocky sticks!




God, please forgive me for being such a judgemental b#t@h!

The little girl who sent the tasteless baby shower invitation actually lost her baby. The pregnancy was in its final trimester so it was a stillbirth. While I, in no way, condone babies having babies out of wedlock, I cannot help but have sincere sympathy for her. The loss of a child has got to be one of the most horrific feelings. I think all mothers, regardless of their age or circumstances, can feel her pain. I don't believe she's handling it very well, either. Teenagers are such emotional, fragile things already. The addition of such a tremendous loss is probably more than she thinks she can bare.

It is at these times that I think God actually led me to this career. Instead of a lecture on the irresponsible behavior that led to this pregnancy, she needs to know that I care and can relate to her situation. And I can...

I never had a loss as far along as she, but I did actually suffer several miscarriages. I remember feeling like my life was over when I had the first one. My husband and I were so excited as were all of our friends and family. However, it was not meant to be. I lost that pregnancy at about 10 weeks.

My 2nd miscarriage occurred not long after the first loss. I was at the beginning of my second trimester when the doctor could find no heartbeat. Again, complete devastation! Because I had finally entered the "safe zone" (i.e. the 2nd trimester), I'd already painted the nursery. I had even ordered the furniture for the babies room and purchased a few of the essentials. That loss was a hard one; I was done.

My husband and I went to a specialist to determine if there were any underlying problems. Turns out my eggs were old (DUH!!! I was 36 years old at the time). They also discovered that my blood was extremely thick and susceptible to clotting probably due to years of smoking. (Those Virginia Slim ads that were in women's magazines when I was young didn't mention anything about that!)

The next miscarriage came after trying again for nearly a year. It was an early loss but no less devastating than the others. I thought my chances at motherhood were gone. I was an emotional wreck having lost all hope.

I obviously did finally have two beautiful, healthy children. But their births did not replace those little peanut that came before them. When I was pregnant with my son, I rented a heart monitor and listened to his heartbeat every 20 minutes until he was born. I was literally scared to death! And I considered naming my daughter Jesus Christ because I'm almost positive her conception was immaculate.

Those losses affected me greatly, though. I was happy to have my two children, but had my tubes tied after my daughter's birth. I could not bare the thought of suffering another loss, and I didn't want to press my luck with God. He'd already worked two miracles for me. I didn't want to seem greedy.

I know that R will go on to have children some day. She is so young, and she has the best years ahead of her. I only hope that she will get the support she needs to make it through this horrible time. I purchased a sympathy card today. I want her to know that I care, and that I'm thinking of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Am I right, or what?