Thursday, April 1, 2010

Blame It On Genetics

I've turned into my grandmother.  It's true.  My whole life I've been very deliberate in my attempts to NOT turn into my mother.  Instead, grandmother snuck (no...it's not a Merriam-Webster word; it's mine) up on me when I wasn't looking.  Damn!!!  You just can't fight genetics.

Let me back up here...  Some of you may remember me talking about my grandmother and the HOOT that she was (God bless her).  She was a fiesty little thing with her own flair.  She'd buy a plain tee or white canvas shoes and "embellish" like a professional designer.  She made Lelli Kelly shoes before Lelli did!  She didn't need the Ronco Stud Maker or the Bedazzler.  Hell, she practically invented those contraptions.  (I sure wish she'd have gotten a patent, though.  Maybe then I'd be vacationing in the Riveria right now instead of creating lesson plans for next week.  Oh, wait...I'm not doing that either.  I suck.)

Anyglitter, every thing my grandmother owned shined like the Hope diamond.  It felt like Fairytopia Barbie had just walked through the door each time she entered a room.  The only difference?  The small slits she made in the sides of her shoes to allow room for the bunions.  Other than that, she was a walking, talking fairy duster.  She blazed a trail through life with glitter!

Like I said, she's got a hold of me now.  Glitter is my new best friend.  I can't seem to control it, either!  My new motto has become Just a little more...

For example, I made little Girls' Night Out tees last night.  My girls and I have a limo reserved tonight, and we are hitting the town.  I'm so excited!  To commemorate such an event (and believe me, with a husband and kids, it is noteworthy feat), I got the idea to make matching shirts. 

After getting the appliques on the front, my hand started itching.  I just couldn't leave it like that!  More is better, right?  Before I could help myself, I had the glitter paints and sequins out.  Those shirts sparkle so much, the driver will probably end up blind after looking in his rearview mirror.  Seriously...  If a tail light goes out, I gotcha!  If we get lost, just follow the glitter trail.

If I start cutting up my shoes, please take me to the nearest nervous hospital.  That's where I draw the line!  Ya hear me, Mildred!!!

4 comments:

Nancy C said...

That's hilarious! My godmother has never met a sparkle she didn't like. She's like a walking road flare.

Unknown said...

ok, but where's the pic of the shirts you made? I wanna see! please?? sounds like so much fun, can't wait to hear how it went.

Alexis AKA MOM said...

LOL you crack me up, so need to see a pic of the bling! Now no sticking your head out the top the glitter my fly and hit an unsuspecting driver :) LOL

Aunt Juicebox said...

My mom was wearing a shirt a couple weeks ago that I painted about 15 years ago. ROFL I'm more worried about turning into my dad than my mom.

Post a Comment

Am I right, or what?