I'm psychic or something. Seriously, my intuitive side is sometimes completely mind-boggling. I am a Christian, albeit a luny Christian, but I'm a firm believer of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. At the same time, I totally get the cosmos and karma and order in the universe. Call me a Christiantologist if you'd like. I love the Big G, and am just amazed at how this organized assembly called life plays out.Take this week, for example. While cleaning my classroom, I came across a book that I read a few years ago while
By now, I'm sure you are wanting to rip my head off. What freakin' book, LB??? Why did you make me read three effn' paragraphs before giving me the title? I ain't got all day, woman! 'Cuz that's how I roll, sister!
Anyimpatientassreaders, the book is called Who Moved My Cheese? Okay, please don't stop reading here. I know it's a hokey little book, and I'm sure most of you have read it during one of those touchy-feely, we-care-about-our-employees, we-are-family, professional development days. Hell, I read it back in those lucrative business days too. I read it, tossed it aside, and filled up my plate at the departmental potluck never to think about it again. Until now...
I won't bore you to tears with a professional book review. Rather, I'll just give you a brief refresher. Dr. LB's interpretation, if you will.
So, there are these little dudes named Hem and Haw, and there are some rodents named Sniff and Scurry. All four of them head off to this maze every day in search of cheese. Real talk...
One day, they hit the mother load. They found an entire room of cheese. Hem and Haw sat around eating and getting fat. The mice did, too. When it was finally gone, the mice quickly moved on in search of more cheese because, well, that's what mice do. Hem and Haw, on the otherhand, freaked the f*@k out! Who the hell took all the cheese? I bet those damn mice did it.
Every day they'd go back to that same place to bitch about the missing cheese. Meanwhile, the mice had discovered a new source of cheese that was more plentiful than ever before. But Hem and Haw sat around expecting that the cheese would reappear at any time. Every day. The same thing. Still no cheese.
Finally, Haw got tickled because he and Hem were no longer big dawgs in the pound, so to speak. They were weak and thin and slowly dying from starvation. He laughed, though, because he realized how ridiculous it was for them to do the same thing day after day expecting different results. He finally got his schnit together and got the heck out of there in search of more cheese. No amount of begging, though, could make Hem come along. He stayed.
After reaching a point of total emaciation, Hem finally found the Big Cheese. He worked hard, tried various strategies (some successful, some not), and persevered. Most importantly, he learned some very valuable lessons along the way. He vowed he'd never become complacent again.
Why, you may ask, do I give a rat's behind (no pun intended) about that story? Because now I see myself in a different light. I see others differently as well. There have been times in my life when I was a regular ol' Hem. All I wanted to do was cry and complain about the unfairness of it all. Boo hoo! Poor me! If so and so wouldn't have done this, maybe I wouldn't be in this predicament.
Even worse, I see it so much in some of the people I deal with. Everybody is looking to blame somebody or something. Everything happens as a direct result of someone else's actions. People are just victims. Victims of the malicious doings of others. Blah, blah, blah...
I call "Bullshit!" It makes me want to barf just thinking about it.
- Sometimes shit just happens!!
- Sometimes you bring shit on yourself!
- Life is NOT fair!
- No one is out to get you!
Alright, alright... I know you're sitting there thinking "What the hell does this have to do with God and universal order?" EVERYTHING! Had I not read that book, I wouldn't be imparting such words of wisdom to you right now. Had I not read that book, I might be sitting here bitching about all the crap going on right now over which I have ZERO control.
For me, the most profound message in the book was when stuff happens roll with it. Don't piss and moan. Suck it up! Find the humor in it! Laugh at yourself, even! Then move. The hell. On!
You are very welcome.

7 comments:
Excellent synopsis of the book, Dr. LB. I agree with you. Sometimes people get so caught up in being the victim, they turn into miserable people. Like you, I have had my moments, but I generally DEAL with it. I can't wait to hear all of the bitchin' tonight!!
Excellent review and yeah, it's a good show on life and how we can react. We do have choices and one of them is complain and blame. Greg says, "Bad things happen to good people. It's not what happens to the person, but it's what happens INSIDE a person!"
I think we're all entitled to cry in our pillow or lick our wounds. But you're right...then you GET UP.
I've been very fortunate to have been dealt a really good hand this time around. I've also been fortunate that when the superbad sh*t hit my life's fan I have been able to, by grace, luck, or destiny, move forward and come out stronger and wiser and more loving on the other side.
That having been said, I can't stand whiney, blaming, victim-y grown ups. They make my head want to explode
You've basically hit on the issues of maybe 50-60% of the population.
Why do we have shows where people are rewarded for being slovenly? Look what a slob this person is? Let's clean up her home and send her to a spa while we redecorate for her?
Seemingly, in this society, those with significant "problems" are rewarded.
Those who can make it on their own and pull themselves up by their bootstraps are allowed to do just that.
Do I want to be needy? No, but neither do I want to see people rewarded for disgusting behavior.
I always wondered what that boook is about. I agree with you.
I was given that book a few years ago, started reading it, then the kids took over my life. It's the kids' (or kid's???) fault that I never finished it. And my crazy life. Damn! Will somebody read it to me??? LOLOLOL
I think I'll pick it up again. Read it on my bathroom visits when I can actually lock the door. :)
Post a Comment
Am I right, or what?