My BFF is gone )-8
No, she's not dead! Today was her last day of work. She's moving to Piggott, Arkansas. Population 3,800. Home of the Hemingway-Pfeiffer Museum.
She's been my bestie for the past 3 years. I remember the day she moved into the classroom across the hall from me. Out the corner of my eye, I see this beautiful woman carrying boxes of loot. She gave me an obligatory half smile/half smirk and went about moving into her room.
Oh great, I thought. They've moved a Prima Donna into the room across the hall.
This bothered me because I tend to be a Prima Donna. How would TWO divas co-exist on this hallway?!? Plus, she was younger and prettier - a total triple threat.
The first day of school rolls around and there we stand. Doing hallway duty. Across the hall from one another. Face to face. Hell, I couldn't help but smile at her.
It didn't take long before we started talking. She was new and needed to know what to do with the student handbooks. She didn't have enough reduced lunch forms. Who gets what??? When? The first day of school is stressful to even the most seasoned professional.
Before long, we were talking about this and that and the other. When she mentioned the bad hair and visible cankles of a coworker, I knew we'd be the best of friends. We were both bona fide smart asses with a penchant for fashion. The Clinton and Stacy of Podunk High School.
Over the years, our bond grew stronger. She kept me in the gym and away from the cake. I kept her from losing her freakin' mind with those bad ass kids in her classroom.
I keep reminding myself that an hour and a half is not that far away, but I know me. And I know her. Hell, we didn't visit when we lived 10 minutes from one another.
All I can say is Praise Jesus, for unlimited text messaging and roll over minutes.
6 years ago


4 comments:
Oh my goodness, I totally know how you feel. All my friends from college are AT LEAST an hour and a half away. You'll survive!! I promise.
Ugh. I've been there before. I hope you find new Clinton or Stacy ASAP.
You bitch! I never knew you could be so sweet!! No, I did know it , down deep :) Love you!!!
-Liz
3800 people. Sure does dampen the possibilities for a continued social life or even any form of decent and close retail.
Keep in touch with her; she is going to need it.
Post a Comment
Am I right, or what?