It's usually when I'm totally sick of snow and longing for warmer weather that I start to consider our yearly vacation options. We've been to Disney World for three straight years. I'm ready for a change of scenery. I <3 Walt Disney and his little dream, really I do. I'm just wanting to try something different.
I've been surfing the internet all day, while my kids destroyed the house, looking for the perfect non-Disney vacation. Guess what? It does not exist! I googled "best family vacations" and "top vacation destinations for kids" and "vacations for kids" only to get basically the same results each time. Number 1 on most lists is freakin' Walt Disney World!
Crap! So I dug deeper. Looked harder.
What about a cruise? Nope. I'm too paranoid about my son throwing his sister overboard. I'd never forgive myself.
Ah-ha! Mexico would be perfect! Oh, wait a minute. Mr. OCD hates the beach. He has issues with sand.
Then I came across Atlantis in the Bahamas. It's beautiful and has lots of activities for the kids. Yes, there's a beach but we don't really have to go there. I'll admit; I'm a poolside kind of girl any way. From the website, it looks like Atlantis has a bazillion pools to choose from AND a ji-normous water park!
"Let's do it!" my son said, though I suspect he had absolutely no idea about what he was so excited. He just likes to spend money.
The reason for the title of my post. I priced a glorious 7-day vacation in the beautiful Atlantis Resort, and nearly had a full-blown kaniption! It cost about the same as a Disney vacation PLUS my husband and I will be responsible for entertaining those little people who suck up so much of our resources.
*sigh, open a new browser tab, and type in www.disney.com*
Walt and his little animal friends have me just where they want me. No matter where I look to vacation, the cost is roughly the same. WITHOUT all the amenities and convenience of Disney.
It's like a cult that we can't escape! Only the leader is a bigger-than-life mouse that we cannot help but worship. He and his goons are just too adorable to resist. The luxurious compound lures us back year after year.
I certainly hope they don't start offering Kool-Aid with the meal plan.
6 years ago


3 comments:
Haha! We took the boys ONCE back in 2005 for 10 days of full-on insanity. I am so glad they're teenagers. We were never really Disney people anyway, and we did Universal and other stuff while we were there. The kids loved it, they got their fill, and that was it. THANK THE LORD. But, we're definitely beach people, so we can go down to Myrtle Beach and spend a week just lying in the sand and be happy. Speaking of which....I need a vacation....
I feel your pain. I bitch and moan about Disney but we still end up going there All. The. Time.
I would like to try a Disney Cruise sometime though. I'm not worried about the overboard thing because I'm planning to stick my kids in the Kids Camp ALL DAY EVERY DAY. The TO can go with them if he wants to.
I don't know if my kid's fixation is worse--Dollywood. They cannot seem to grow out of it. Thank Goodness something new is added each year and thank goodness the season passes are overwhelmingly affordable. Just when I think we can forgo living there over the summer (and fall and Christmas), they start reminiscing again. The youngest child thinks Dolly Parton is a personal friend of after we walked through her tour bus and had our picture made.
Besides, my husband always wants to go to the beach and when he gets there, he tires of it after 24 hours. The quickest beach trip for us is that Redneck Riviera--Myrtle Beach, but maybe if I had more discerning taste concerning beaches, they would not be so wild about Dollywood. Ah well, the shows are actually decent, especially during International Festival.
Post a Comment
Am I right, or what?