Friday, February 27, 2009

New Fashion Trend in High School

Apparently, there is a new fashion trend in high school. Lots of girls are really following the trend, too. They have tight shirts over their big bellies and tight jeans unbuttoned for more belly room. In addition, they've developed a waddle in their walk and a need to rub their protruding bellies. Curious about the fashion trend yet??

It seems that being a pregnant teen is popular and fashionable -- so much so that their numbers are growing exponentially. Every time I turn around either this one is pregnant or that one thinks she's pregnant or another is returning from maternity leave. The friends and parents are throwing baby showers like it is something wonderful and worth celebrating.

Don't get me wrong, the birth of a child IS wonderful and should definitely be celebrated. However I'm not so sure I want my daughter experiencing that wonderful celebration until she's about 30 years old! Yet these little girls (and they ARE just little girls) act like they just won homecoming queen when they find out they are pregnant. Some even fake a pregnancy in order to feel special.

I have a two students who are currently pregnant, two that have returned from maternity leave, one who just lost a pregnancy, and another who just had about her third abortion. I can't help but feel disgusted when they start pulling out the ultrasound pictures and the baby photos. One girl even has a shirt that says "I'm not Fat...I'm Knocked Up!" Are you freakin' kidding me?? That's a great addition to her Abercrombie & Fitch wardrobe. Are they thinking parenthood is the equivalent of vacationing in the Bahamas?

Yesterday, a few of them kinda got ticked off at me when I told them that the most selfless thing a pregnant teen could do is place the child for adoption. I mean it, too! All I hear is how morally opposed they are to abortion, which is fine. I totally understand and that is their right. But when you mention adoption they act as if you are suggesting MURDER. "OMG! I could never do that. I could never give my baby away. It's my responsibility!" Yea, right...

Their responsibility, but my tax liability. Every single one of them is receiving and will continue to receive some form of public assistance. In addition, these teen mothers aren't even caring for their own kids! The grandparents are doing it for them.

I didn't mean to get on a soapbox tonight. It's just been on my mind. It seems every class period the topic turns to someone's pregnancy. I have a group of girls who talk nonstop about it! They don't even get their work done some days b/c they are so consumed with naming babies, planning showers, etc.

I might ought to whip out my c-section scar and my sagging boobs so they could get a clue! Or better yet, fill the air with the scent of baby puke and dirty diapers. I could even have a screaming baby sound forwarded to their cell phones every two-three hours. Maybe "Living in a trailer with 10 kids and a minimum wage job" should be a course offering in every high school. Is it possible to simulate the look and feel of a 1978 model double-wide trailer?

1 comment:

Stephanie Greenwell said...

Friend of Liz's - Friggin' hilarious, but it's a sad truth, no less. And a "Amen sista" for bringing to light in your own school! maybe those girls should come spend a few nights with me with a kindergartener, a preschooler, a toddler, and tired pregnant mother! and i have a job and pay for my own liabilities! Amen and amen. love your blog, by the way!

steph

Post a Comment

Am I right, or what?