Sunday, February 15, 2009

St. Valentine's Day Nightmare and Rude People

I was sooo wanting to post something upbeat and positive for Valentine's Day -- especially after my rant about irresponsible teenagers. However, I'm sorry to report that I have nothing heart-warming to post. Instead, this post is all about the horrors of my Valentine's Day.

After a long, sleepless night on Friday, I took my kids to the doctor Saturday morning and learned they had strep! Eli has strep butt and a sinus infection. Strep butt was new to me, but it's apparently not uncommon. Eli's complaints of an itchy butt were not just due to his inability to wipe properly. He was probably exposed at school or daycare, and then scratched his butt. Great... I fight with him on a daily basis about handwashing. He always forgets to do it. Too bad "I told you so" doesn't really help the situation. Luckily, Georgia just has strep throat and an ear infection. They are both on mega doses of penicillin for the next 10 days.

This brings me to rude people... On the way to the doctor, Georgia puked all over the place. I stopped carrying extra clothes for them which I now regret. I cleaned her as best I could, but I had to roll the windows down and turn the heat up for the rest of the trip. After seeing the doctor, I decided to drop off the prescriptions and get Georgia some clean clothes at Target.

When we got into Target, I noticed she looked lethargic. I thought it was just from lack of sleep so I let her lay down in the cart. Nope! She was sick, and puked all over Target. I'm standing in the middle of the toddler clothing section with a puking baby, and NO ONE offered to help! There were people walking around, shopping, and staring. Not a single person expressed concern or offered a hand or anything.

So there I am holding my puking daughter and chasing my son who apparently got a 2nd wind and was running around the store. I was so pissed, and went looking for a Target employee only to discover that there was none to be found. I finally carried Georgia to the front of the store and told a cashier about the clean up on aisle 12. Luckily, Eli followed me as I was unable to keep up with him at this point.

Thank God no one tried to snatch him. He would've probably been carried out of the store kicking and screaming while the shoppers enjoyed free samples of the latest fat-free, calorie-free ice cream. Seriously, when did people get to be uncaring?? I think I even asked for help, but got no response. I just cannot imagine seeing a poor mom with a puking child and not, at the very least, offer a tissue or a wipe! It really makes me pessimistic about the future of humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Am I right, or what?