Thursday, June 23, 2011

Brown and Blue



I am six,
My mom's a slouch,
We're late, yes, we're late again.


It's 9:45,
We've got 30 miles to go,
And swim lessons start at ten.


I put on my swimsuit,
Brush my teeth,
And grab a hat to cover my hair.


Barefoot and flustered,
I scramble for shoes,
In my closet of ten thousand pairs.

My tummy is grumbling,
I grab the last Pop-Tart,
I feel like I'm starving to death.

I smile at my sister,
As she walks towards the pantry,
Because I know there's none left.


My mom yells to us,
"It's 9:55!
Get some shoes and get in the van."


I do as she says
And grab some Crocs
Then run as fast as I can.


We get to the Y 
And run to the door
It's already five after ten.


"Head to the pool," 
My mom yells to us,
"And I'll go sign us in."


Just a few feet away,
Yes, I am almost there, 
I hear my mom yell, "E!"


I turned in fear,
"What'd I do wrong?"
But she is just laughing at me.


She's giggling,
And pointing down at my feet,
I'm curious so I look too.


Oh, no!  Look at me!
These Crocs are not right.
One is brown and the other is blue!

So what do ya think??  This is my entry for this week's Writer's Workshop prompt #2:  Write a poem inspired by a picture you took last week. Share both!


To read more like it, check out Mama Kat's and all her groupies at Mama's Losing It.

9 comments:

Amanda said...

Hey, I resemble that mom.

Diane said...

Ha ha! Looks exactly like something my youngest would do!

Ashley said...

: )cute

Anonymous said...

I have a daughter who would only wear one purple and one blue shoe - same shoes, different colors. People asked me all the time if I noticed. Uh, yeah.
Love your poem!

Amber said...

lol - that put a smile on my face! Cute!

Anonymous said...

I love it! You will miss those days but what nice memories when they are grown and wearing shoes of the same color!
Just popped in from Mama Kat!
Chris

Kimberly at Rubber Chicken Madness said...

Totally sounds like my life about 7 years ago!

angela said...

Cute! And we are always running late, too :( I love that you wrote it from her perspective.

Nancy C said...

You are living my life. Summer is crazier than the school year with all the running around.

And it's only a 30 minute swim lesson, but I've managed to be late two times this week.

Post a Comment

Am I right, or what?