Friday, March 26, 2010

From a Baby to a Buffoon

I registered my baby for kindergarten yesterday.  :(

Yep, my 5 year old will be in "big school" next year.  I know the next 13 years (or 20 depending on how well he does) will go by so quickly.  I'm just not ready for him to grow up!

He's my first!  He's such a typical first-born child at that.  He cracks me up because I was a first born, too.  He's very much into pleasing people and wanting to be the best.  It bothers him if someone is better at something.  He especially hates if his sister gets praise and he doesn't.     

I've watched him in Sunday School, and when the teacher asks a question, he is the first with his hand up.  Regardless of whether or not the answer he is about to give has ANYTHING to do with the question, he is going to raise his hand.  I just hope he has at least a few years before some kid crushes his soul by saying, "Ha-ha!  That's wrong, you big dummy!"  I'd hate to bring my can of Whoop-Arse up to the elementary school.

My baby...  I want to remember all the things I love about him before he starts trying to impress his peers by being a little shit!  In fact, this is probably the last summer I'll have my little boy.  Once he befriends little Johnny with the older brother who thinks it's cute to hear him say "vagina," his innocence will be lost. 

He'll be farting in class, making spitballs, and generally getting on his teacher's last nerve.  He will soon be transformed from my sweet baby to a buffoon silly boy.  First there will be little giggles about the word, "vagina," and then before I know it, I'll find condom wrappers in his car.  At which time I will kill him, by the way. 

It makes me want to cry.  I wish I could preserve this little creature that has become the love of my life.  Nearly six years ago, he was just a long shot.  He was either going to be the baby for which I longed or a very expensive menstrual cycle.  (After several miscarriages, it was our first attempt at artificial insemination.)  We rolled the dice and won!  Now he's one of the most precious little beings I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. 

I don't want to get all sappy because, well, that's just not me.  Sentimental is not really an emotion with which I'm comfortable.  However, as his mom, I feel it necessary to capture this phase of his life.  What better way than here.  Hang tight, folks.  This is all about E:

  • He is my compliant child and typically does what he is told.
  • He's a hugger; he hugs EVERYONE. 
  • He is always smiling.
  • He's very pleasant, and treats everyone like a best friend. 
  • He loves to talk and will strike up a conversation with anyone. 
  • He makes friends easily. 
  • He is polite and precedes nearly every statements with "Excuse me?" 
  • He still eats with his mouth open, though he tries soooo hard to chew with it closed. 
  • He is loving and very affectionate, especially towards his mama.
  • He likes to cuddle at night. 
  • He is very sensitive, and gets upset easily.  (As a result, his little sister pesters the heck out of him.) 
  • Even at five, he sleeps with his best friend, "Draffy."  (Draffy is a giraffe/blanket.  He sucks on Draffy's ear all night long.  It is the sweetest sight EVER!)
  • He is extremely flat-footed and awkward.
  • He loves to dance.
  • He loves telling silly jokes.
  • He likes to make his daddy and I proud.
  • He is materialistic and loves buying "things."
  • He is blind as a bat.
  • He's a little scientist who likes to invent things or observe reactions.  (It usually ends with a big mess and me yelling at him.)
  • He watches too much TV, and blocks everyone and everything out when he's watching it.
  • He doesn't like the dark.
  • He is messy.
  • He is extremely giving, and often wraps "presents" for his friends.
  • He is very smart and inquisitive, always asking "but why?"
  • He is a naturally good swimmer.
  • He's a very picky eater, and refuses to eat any type of vegetable.
  • His drink of choice is water, and even prefers it over sodas. 
  • He still cannot figure out how to walk in flip flops.
  • He likes to dress up and pretend to be his favorite character of the moment.
  • He's a terrible liar.
  • He has a nervous stomach; he either pukes who has a BM (or both! at the same time) when he's feeling apprehensive.
Next year when he gets in trouble for the first time for doing something very boyish and asinine, I hope I'll remember to look at this list before I kill him.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Oh Laurie, you articulated so well what's been on my mind this week. I signed Aaralyn up Thursday too :( Bittersweet is an understatement.

And I was there during your 2-week wait. I remember your miscarriages and crying with you, both in despair and joy at your BFP.

Much love to Eli as he enters the 'silly boy' stage and hugs to his mama!

(Aaralyn can't figure out how to walk in flip-flops either LOL!)

Liz said...

Aw, he's so sweet. Wait until he comes home with the first smart-mouthed comment he learned from school-- try to remember the times when he was innocent.

Post a Comment

Am I right, or what?