Monday, March 15, 2010

Memoir Monday - Daytona Beach, 1993

Okay boys and girls!  It's time to play along with Travis and friends again.  It's Memoir Monday!  Head over to I Like to Fish..., drink some beer, read some funny stories, and drink some more beer.  Travis and the others will make you piss your pants!



I cannot stop thinking about Spring Break.  It's like 5 gazillion days away!  Seriously, these April spring breaks just kill me.  The last holiday we had was President's Day in February!  We will have endured two full months before the next break.  I'm going to start drinking beer every night just to take the edge off.

Of course, spring break from a teacher's perspective is completely different from a student's perspective.  Now that I teach, I am looking forward to the down time and rest.  When I was a student, though...???  Awww, hell!  It was the best throw down ever!

I remember my last college spring break.  My friends and I had been watching MTV in Daytona all month long.  Everybody was partying.  Hot guys were everywhere.  The best musical talent was showing up for little impromptu concerts.  It. Was. BALL-ing!  And we were going.

Even a freak winter storm that dropped 14 inches of snow on southern mississippi in March of 1993 couldn't stop us.  We just scraped the snow and ice off the windshield and hit the road.  None of us had a clue about driving in the snow, but we didn't have a clue about a lot of things back thing.  We were fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants girls.  More specifically, we were the Three White Bitches to our close friends.

Anyparty, we hit the road!  We drove all the way from Hattiesburg, Mississippi, to Daytona Beach, Florida.  We had 2 cassette tapes we rotated in the tape player - Rick Springfield's Living In Oz and a single called "The Best Part of Breaking Up" by Roni Griffith.  It was a club song that we loved.  We made the DJ at Senor Frog's play it 50 times a night.  I actually had to google to find the singer.  Check it out:



Oh, and I know...  Rick Springfield's popularity had definitely waned by 1993, but our love for his hot bod had not.  We were still rocking out to our disco tunes while many of our other friends had moved on to Pearl Jam and The Black Crows.  We were hopeless Dancing Queens looking for fun!

I don't remember how long it took us to get there, but I know we traveled well into the night.  We actually got caught in a traffic jam for a very long time.  There was a fire or something along the highway in Alabama.  It was dark and late, and we were at a complete standstill.  And Lizzie had to pee.  Silly girls, don't you know you can't drink beer on a road trip without a make-shift potty?  That wasn't our first rodeo!  Lizzie peed into a red solo cup.  It was classic!  She peed until she filled the cup to the top, stopped until it was emptied out the window, and finished up without so much as a tiny sprinkle in the car.  Now that's skill, boys and girls!

We finally made it to Daytona only to find out that we were in the midst of a hurricane advisory.  It was wet and rainy.  MTV abandoned ship and headed to another spring break party spot.  Do you think that dampened our spirits and ruined our spring break?!?  Heck NO!  We partied like rock stars, hooked up with a random guy or two (I still have a sweatshirt belonging to some hottie from Ohio), and had the time of our lives! 

Daytona Beach was fun, but we honestly could have had a great time in closet. 

 
   

4 comments:

Joey Lynn Resciniti said...

I've never done the spring break thing. I am pondering going to Daytona this summer. I hope it calms down enough in June for my old soul!

Travis said...

Just imagine a party IN a hurricane!

That would have been legit, son.

Thanks for playing today! Look forward to the next one!

Nancy C said...

The only hurricanes I need are sold in big-ass glasses in New Orleans. That's a party right there, my friend.

Tracie said...

OMG! I love Living In Oz. I still have that album.

Your Memoir Mondays entertain me every time. Takes me back to the good ole days.

Post a Comment

Am I right, or what?